Hello!

Hello, my name is Joshua Stinebrink.  I am currently a studio arts major at Lawrence University.  I am a Hawaiian illustrator and I hope to have fun in this class!

I was born and raised in Kenosha, Wisconsin, but in the last 5 years I moved to Hawaii to connect more with my culture.  I was able to get a better understanding of my values, ho'omau and kuleana.  Ho'omau means to preserve and perpetuate and kuleana means your responsibility.  I believe it is my kuleana to give back to my community by producing art that represents our people. I hope to inform and educate people about our culture.  Representation is one of the most important things we need and can be achieved if we continue to show people our culture.

I still don't know what to do with my art right now but in the future, I hope to be an illustrator that works at independent studios.  If I can get experience there, I feel I'll be able to get a better understanding of how the industry works and at the same time be able to work on my passion.  I love illustration and concept art because of the infinite possibilities there are for one idea.  You could paint something in one angle which demonstrates the personality of a character or paint landscapes that show a world never before seen.  The only limit is your imagination.

Uh, McLuhan quote: "our time is a time for crossing barriers, for erasing old categories-for probing around."  This quote just yells to the reader to experiment.  Experimentation in art is fun and exciting!

Comments

  1. Your works are attractive! Hearing you said that producing art to give back your community was impressive, hope to see more works from you and tell us more about your culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The art of your illustrations are beautiful! The poses of spider-man are very vivid, they reminds me of Tom and Jerry, because it feels like spider-man stretches his action to the fullist!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maeve Jackson Artist Talk

Martin Analysis